Saturday, October 27, 2007

Eva's first birthday


I was told that I must post pictures of Eva's birthday. I would of done it earlier but the internet hasn't been working for the past few days. For her birthday I made some vegan cupcakes for her. They didn't turn out quite so well. They were okay but not great. It was very sad. But she really liked them and that is all that matters. I am a horrible cook and mess things up a lot. I blame this on my mother. Maybe I shouldn't but I do. She doesn't cook at all. So I never learned anything. When I worked at Stonybrook Mrs. Bentfield described a holiday at her in-laws as 'thanksgiving in a can' and that really sums up holidays and really every meal from my mom. I remember a few years ago my mom was finishing up her part of holiday dinner and was excitedly showing everyone that you can now buy mashed potatoes that are frozen in a plastic bag. You just buy them then pop them in the microwave and they are done. I understand taking shortcuts on some things. Maybe buying premade cookies or pie. But mashed potatoes are one of the easiest things in the world to make. I know this because I can make kick ass mashed potatoes so they must be easy to make. I don't think anyone can screw them up. I love my mother but she is crazy. And she is responsible for the fact that I feel completely lost and overwhelmed in a kitchen. I am trying to cook more on my own because I do think it is a lot healthier than premade convenience foods. But at this point it involves a lot of trial and error.




No comments: